HomeWelcome to the WASC Discussion Board

This area is for members only. If you have been granted access, please log in.

Fees for activities and snacks 

Kari

5/5/2016
Kari
Good morning everyone! We are an independent community/senior center, so in order to participate in most activities, people must become members. At this point, to play a particular activity, we do not charge a fee (although MOST groups will voluntarily donate back to the center - anywhere from .25 - $1/person) Our issue lately is the snacks. We offer coffee for free always. But what do you all do for cookies/snacks? Some of the groups will pay extra, and we set out enough cookies for that group, some just take the cookies and don't pay anything, some just flip a quarter in the basket. There is no consistency to how we regulate this, and a lot of it has been grandfathered in before I got here. In looking, most groups will add $1/person and then we provide the coffee and cookies. What do you all do? Does that seem excessive to you? When writing up a policy for it, I am having difficulty even knowing where/how to start. The donation factor has worked well.... until one group of troublemakers (of course the ones that dont pay anything) decided to get in an uproar. Would love to hear your thoughts and suggestions.
0 link
Joanne

5/11/2016
Joanne
We charge $2 to participate in activity and coffee and treat is included
0 link
Joanne

5/11/2016
Joanne
0 link
Joanne

5/11/2016
Joanne
0 link
Joanne

5/11/2016
Joanne
0 link
Christine Beatty
Administrator

5/11/2016
Christine Beatty
Administrator
We gave up free coffee some time ago; donations always lagged behind costs, which included paper products, creamer, sugar, stir sticks, equipment, staff time, plus the mess. When we looked at total annual costs, it was a no-brainer. We now have a coffee machine from a provider that makes multiple types of coffee and tea. (I'm a fan of the French vanilla cappuccino!). We are fortunate to receive day old bakery products. Some are cookies that are frozen for use at special programs (at the discretion of staff); the bread is distributed ASAP to anyone. No cost to those in attendance.
0 link
jillkranz

6/3/2016
jillkranz
I stopped doing regular treats for groups many years ago, as they complained they didn't like what I bought or not enough variety, etc. So now it's bring your own treats. We do have coffee but charge a quarter per cup. It's self serve and honor system. Overall we do make money on coffee. If we are having a special event we might do snacks. It's too time consuming to do it on a regular basis.
I would suggest if you make changes that you let people know well in advance - "Beginning October 1st the Senior Center will no longer provide treats, etc." Also announce in person to the groups and in your newsletter.
edited by jillkranz on 6/3/2016
0 link