HomeInappropriate Behavior Discussion - June 3, 2016

Christine Beatty will "moderate" discussion on inappropriate behavior and policies which address behaviors.

Welcome to the WASC Discussion Board! 

Christine Beatty
Administrator

6/3/2016
Christine Beatty
Administrator
Hey Jill! I can't see your post.
0 link
jillkranz

6/3/2016
jillkranz
HI all,
I am especially irritated by the threat to quit. My response to that is always - We'll miss you. When will your last day be? That pretty much shuts down that threat.
jillkranz wrote:
PaulaS wrote:
First Question: how to deal with two (both significant) volunteers who have control issues and cannot work together and both are volunteering in gift shop and both want complete control. We have had temper tantrums, threats to quit, swearing , etc. Both have wonderful talents and don't want to lose either of them
0 link
Rita Martin
Administrator

6/3/2016
Rita Martin
Administrator
I have to keep clicking on Add Reply to see new messages, hmmmmm. I'm getting on my email better than on the website.

--
Rita Martin, Admin. Assistant
0 link
Christine Beatty
Administrator

6/3/2016
Christine Beatty
Administrator
That's good advice from a "seasoned" senior center director!
0 link
jillkranz

6/3/2016
jillkranz
I don't quite have the technology down yet, but I like the topic. We spend a lot of time dealing with inappropriate behaviors. And I quite agree Christine - we serve EVERYONE, so that is the target for appropriate behavior.
0 link
Rita Martin
Administrator

6/3/2016
Rita Martin
Administrator
"we serve EVERYONE, so that is the target for appropriate behavior."

Love this comment Jill. So true. The center must be welcoming for everyone

--
0 link
jillkranz

6/3/2016
jillkranz
I have a question/topic to bring up. We have a wonderful volunteer at our reception desk, but in the last few weeks have seen a change in her behavior, i.e. forgetting how to transfer a call, being confused, etc. We have mentioned it and both she and her husband have said she's fine. We are just kind of monitoring the situation now, but any thoughts on the best way to track that behavior if it continues?
0 link
Christine Beatty
Administrator

6/3/2016
Christine Beatty
Administrator
Cheering for APPROPRIATE behavior is another way to model the desired behaviors.
0 link
PaulaS

6/3/2016
PaulaS
Jill - is it possible she could have had a mini stroke - I would mention it to her and for her own health suggest she get it checked.
0 link
PaulaS

6/3/2016
PaulaS
I know that odd, unusual behaviors can be embarrassing for people to discuss, but I always let people know we are concerned about their health and well being first and foremost
0 link
Christine Beatty
Administrator

6/3/2016
Christine Beatty
Administrator
The front desk is a very demanding and important task; this is the front line of our business. You have educated and retrained. Now, noting each error at the end of her shift is in order. After two shifts, you should have sufficient info for a serious conversation. The conversation could be an appology for placing her in the wrong volunteer position and lead to a discussion on a new assignment.
0 link
Christine Beatty
Administrator

6/3/2016
Christine Beatty
Administrator
The front desk is a very demanding and important task; this is the front line of our business. You have educated and retrained. Now, noting each error at the end of her shift is in order. After two shifts, you should have sufficient info for a serious conversation. The conversation could be an appology for placing her in the wrong volunteer position and lead to a discussion on a new assignment.
0 link
Christine Beatty
Administrator

6/3/2016
Christine Beatty
Administrator
That's a good strategy, Paula. When we had 2 or 3 guys napping after lunch, I woke them to ask if they were okay. Then, I told them about the "no sleeping policy." As I continued to wake people up, I noticed fewer and fewer people napping. Educate first, then legislate.
0 link
Rita Martin
Administrator

6/3/2016
Rita Martin
Administrator
Thank you ladies for your comments, questions and insights.

--
0 link
jillkranz

6/3/2016
jillkranz
thanks for the input. I appreciate it!
0 link
Mary Hanson

6/3/2016
Mary Hanson
Verona does. It has been helpful.
Christine Beatty wrote:
Can we do a poll? How many viewers have written policies regarding inappropriate behaviors? Christine
0 link
Cathy Loomans

6/3/2016
Cathy Loomans
I have 2 thoughts about the string of comments this morning. Jill - if the changes came on suddenly for your volunteer, it could be something as minor as a UTI which can cause dramatic changes in cognitive behaviors - even without any of the typical UTI symptoms. I agree with approaching the subject as a concern about your volunteer's heath and then share that perhaps if she is seeing some changes, she should consult her physician and have a UA test.

Regarding the volunteers who can't get along - I believe that we as leaders of the organization, as well as the staff and volunteers that represent us, need to be held to the highest standard of what is acceptable behavior within our building. If we don't build a culture of kindness and respect and don't address behaviors that fall outside of that expectation, participants to our centers will model the bad behaviors as easily as they model the good ones. Addressing bad behaviors has been a primary goal of mine and while some people have been upset that they can't bully and push people around anymore, i have heard from numerous people who are glad that we are finally holding people accountable for their actions.
edited by loomans2000 on 6/3/2016
0 link
Mary Hanson

6/3/2016
Mary Hanson
We have developed a behavior policy here in Verona and it has definitely helped. We have had similar problems with volunteers, and in retrospect, I think it is better to address the problems earlier rather than later. The longer that problems continue without the director stepping in and making it clear what behaviors are acceptable and what are not, the more that the volunteer(s) spins out of control. Best to speak to each person individually and in private, let them know you appreciate their volunteerism, but that certain behaviors just can't continue.
0 link
Catherine Kiener

6/13/2016
Does anyone have a policy for people who you may have been restricted/banned/removed from another center then trying to come to your center?
0 link